FI 20181119 Winter Service Project

November 2018 Winter Service Project

Event Information


Date: November 19, 2018
Location: Not Applicable
Status: Scheduled
Organizer: Millie Vaughn
Event Type: Past Event, Volunteering


Members of the Vigo County Retired Teachers Association volunteered to ring the bell as part of the association’s winter service project to support the Salvation Army’s Red Kettle campaign. Volunteers rang the bell over five days at the Terre Haute Kroger South location. VCRTA volunteers were ringing 1 of the approximately 25,000 bells at the same time across the country.

This year the VCRTA happily volunteered over 75 hours and collected $2,809.48 from the community. The Salvation Army noted that just two hours of ringing a bell at a red kettle can raise enough money to feed a family of four for a week.

The local 2018 fundraising goal is $140,000. Of the money collected, 90% will stay in the Wabash Valley to support the food pantry and the “Pathway to Hope” program and the remaining 10% will go to the divisional headquarters.

Last year’s $2,340.80 collection was a 28% increase over the prior year’s collected donations, to help the Salvation Army reach the 2017 Red Kettle campaign goal of $250,000. This year, VCRTA’s collection of $2,809.45 amounted to 2% of the Salvation Army’s 2018 Red Kettle campaign goal with an increase of 20% over the prior year’s collected donations.

The volunteers this year include:  Teresa H., Sharon M., David W., Glenda H., Vicki C., Julia B., Millie V., Jennie L., Carol C., Ruth I., Anne D., Sharon J., JoAnn B., Saundra N., Pat A., Susie C., Sheri H., Karen L., Kathie D., Suzy R., Suzanne J., Ann B., Helen B., Joyce K., Marilyn K., Mary Helen F., Brenda C., Janella K., Pam H., Jan S., Bertie S., Pattie C., Jim C., Ken P., Susie P., Diane S., and Karen P-K.